Friday, December 28, 2012

Hatch, New Mexico... Chile Capital of the World



Hatch has a population of 1648 but when Labor Day rolls around and it is time for their annual Chile Festival, they have had as many as 30,000 people. It has been said that people come from all over the world for this event. They are known world wide for raising good chiles apparently the soil and weather are perfect for this crop. I have to report what I've read, and not my experience, as I want to taste and enjoy my food. Hatch couldn't survive if everyone's taste buds were like mine, but I did very much enjoy seeing the colorful displays. I really wanted to stop at a local restaurant, just to say I had sampled Hatch Chile. I didn't, just couldn't get up the nerve, and was running low on Prilosec.


Please overlook the water drops on some of these pictures. It was drizzling rain, and I take a lot of pictures from inside the van...out the windshield or side glass. 







pretty as a picture





what is that on the right...is that a push broom...do they stir them with it?

It's raining harder now

This is one of Teako's Giants....read about them here  http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/22352

Another Teako Giant

several fields of Chile growing nearby

What a colorful crop

No comments:

Post a Comment