Thursday, December 27, 2012

West Texas Walk of Fame




The West Texas Walk of Fame" began as a tribute to Rock and Roll legend Buddy Holly in the late 70's.
While there have been over 60 inducted since 1983, I have included only 11 of my favorites here.

Loctaed across from the Buddy Holly Center on Cricket Ave. in Lubbock.  


Everyday it's a-gettin' closer
Goin' faster than a roller coaster
Love like yours will surely come my way
and
If you knew, Peggy Sue,
Then you know why I feel blue
Without Peggy, my Peggy Sue.
Well, I love you girl.
Yes, I love you, Peggy Sue.
Mamas, don't let your babies grow up to be cowboys.
Don't let 'em pick guitars or drive them old trucks.
Let 'em be doctors and lawyers and such.

Oh Lord it's hard to be humble
when you're perfect in every way.
I can't wait to look in the mirror

'cos I get better looking each day
to know me is to love me


some folks say that I'm "egotistical
well I don't even know what that means
I guess it has something to do with the
way that I fill out my skintight blue jeans.





 
I must be a hell of a man.
O Lord it's hard to be humble
but I'm doing the best that I can.

   
Ev'ry mornin' at the mine you could see him arrive
He stood six foot six and weighed two forty five
Kinda broad at the shoulder and narrow at the hip
And everybody knew ya didn't give no lip to Big John.
(Big John, Big John) Big Bad John (Big John)
Nobody seemed to know where John called home
He just drifted into town and stayed all alone
He didn't say much, kinda quiet and shy
And if you spoke at all, you just said "Hi" to Big John.
Somebody said he came from New Orleans
Where he got in a fight over a Cajun Queen
And a crashin' blow from a huge right hand
Sent a Loosiana fellow to the Promised Land-Big John
(Big John, Big John) Big Bad John (Big John)
Then came the day at the bottom of the mine
When a timber cracked and men started cryin'
Miners were prayin' and hearts beat fast
And everybody thought that they'd breathed their last-'cept John
Through the dust and the smoke of this man-made hell
Walked a giant of a man that the miners knew well
Grabbed a saggin' timber, gave out with a groan
And like a giant oak tree he just stood there alone-Big John
(Big John, Big John) Big Bad John (Big John)
And with all of his strength he gave a mighty shove
Then a miner yelled out "There's a light up above!"
And twenty men scrambled from a would-be grave
Now there's only one left down there to save-Big John
With jacks and timbers they started back down
Then came that rumble way down in the ground
And then smoke and gas belched out of that mine
Everybody knew it was the end of the line for Big John
(Big John, Big John) Big Bad John (Big John)
Now they never reopened that worthless pit
They just placed a marble stand in front of it
These few words are written on that stand
At the bottom of this mine lies a hell of man, Big John
(Big John, Big John) Big Bad John (Big John)
Well that'll be the day when you say goodbye Yeah, yes that'll be the day when you make me cry You say you're gonna leave me, you know it's a lie 'Cause that'll be the day when I die
 and
All of my love
All of my kissin'
You don't know what you been a-missin'

Oh boy (Oh boy)
When you're with me
Oh boy (Oh boy)

Delta Dawn, what's that flower you have on
Could it be a faded rose from days gone by
And did I hear you say he was a-meeting you here today
To take you to his mansion in the sky


Saving nickels, saving dimes, working till the sun don't shine
Looking forward to happier times on blue bayou
Im going back some day come what may to blue bayou
Where you sleep all day and the catfish play on blue bayou

and

Pretty woman, walking down the street
Pretty woman, the kind I like to meet
Pretty woman
I don't believe you, you're not the truth
No one could look as good as you
Mercy

and

But only the lonely
Know why
I cry
Only the lonely

Dum-dum-dum-dumdy-doo-wah
Ooh-yay-yay-yay-yeah
Oh-oh-oh-oh-wah
Only the lonely

All the gold in California
Is in a bank in the middle of Beverly Hills in somebody else’s name
So if you’re dreaming about California
It don’t matter at all where you played before, California’s a brand new game
Stay all night, stay a little longer
Dance all night, dance a little longer
Pull off your coat, throw it in the corner
Don't see why you can't stay a little longer.
Dan isn't remembered for his music, having only 2 albums to his credit.
We sure can't forget “Hoss” Cartwright of Bonanaza though.
I'd like to be in Charlie's shoes, that's what I always said
'Cause he had you and everything tied with a golden thread
Then Charlie left and went away and when I got the news
It wasn't long till I was walking 'round in Charlie's shoes












1 comment:

  1. Well... I guess I'll comment on each of your posts.... Stevie Ray Vaughan in Austin and Luckenbach ... ol Texas... gotta love it

    ReplyDelete